Malmaison estate’s forest
The 200 hectares of this forest were bought by Josephine in 1800, linked to Malmaison Castle it became part of a thousand hectares domain reaching the woods of La-Celle-Saint-Cloud. The Empress especially loved this place and very often she invited her guests for excursions in horse-drawn carriages. Near Saint-Cucufa pond she had a sheepfold and a cowshed built.
After Josephine’s death, the estate was dismantled and partially deforested. It is her grand-son, Napoleon III who saved the forest thanks to exchanges of lands. He bought it back in 1856 and included it in his civilian list of properties. In 1870 and 1871, the forest of Malmaison saw the fierce assaults of Captain de Nisme artillery men against the Prussians. In 1871, the forest became a national forest thus becoming property of the State.
Nowadays, on Sundays, it welcomes cyclists, joggers, or simply nature lovers.
Saint-Cucufa pond is a wonderful resting place where one can see fishes, batrachians and ducks frolicking in the heart of a rich and diversified flora.